You can enable support for certain forward version features via the
android.support namespace. In order to accomplish this you need to start the Android SDK Manager and make sure that under the Extras heading you select and install the Android Support package.
Once done you go into the directory
extras/android/support/v4 and copy the
android-support-v4.jar to your own project’s
libs directory. Next go within IntelliJ IDEA to File » Project Structure and under Project Settings go to Modules, make sure your application is selected in the middle pane, then on the right side select the Dependencies tab. In the window below click the plus-icon and select Jars or directories. From the resulting window browse to your
libs directory and select the
android-support-v4.jar and press OK to close the window and add the jar-file to the dependencies of the project. Since you are now using certain constants from a newer version of Android the Module SDK needs to be changed to Android 4.0.3 Platform as well. Press Apply and close the Project Settings by pressing the OK button.
What I did to get the Galaxy S2 skin to work with the Android Virtual Device (AVD) was:
- download the skin from the Samsung Developer website, it’s under the Add-on SDKs,
- extract to a Galaxy_S2 directory,
- put the entire directory in the
[Android-SDK directory]/platforms/android-10/skins directory,
- edit the manifest.ini and change
- restart AVD Manager,
- under skin in the device configuration you should see Galaxy_S2 in the dropdown.
During a checkout of a Subversion tree on my Windows 7 installation I got quite a fair share of errors from TortoiseSVN, all of which ended with
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
After digging around a bit, I came across this blog post on the exact same problem. And subsequently I found there is a hotfix available from Microsoft on their page about . This hotfix will be in the upcoming service pack 1.
You might also be able to work around it by disabling indexing on the particular folder or drive. It solved it for me at least.
If you like to have a visual cue for, say, where the 80th column is then this page over at Stack Overflow details the various registry keys you might need to add as well as showing which extensions can do it for you. For VS 2010 Professional and up you can use the Productivity Power Tools, but it seems that Visual Studio 2010 Express has no guides support.
For many programming languages we still like to use either 80 or 120 columns in our editors to ensure it fits easily on print, as well as to use it as an aid for ensuring concise code.
In Sublime Text you can set vertical rulers for this by going to
Preferences » User File Preferences and add
rulers 80 120 and save the file.
For Sublime Text 2 it’s under
Preferences » Settings — User, but the configuration file is now in JSON format, so you need to add
"rulers": [80, 120] and maybe you need to append a comma at the end if you have more configuration directives following it.
Addition 2013: in Sublime Text 3 it is still under
Preferences » Settings — User and the file is still in JSON, so simply add
"rulers": [80, 120], like in the example for Sublime Text 2
PyCharm 1.1.1 was released yesterday. It consists mostly of bugfixes, find the full release notes on their site.
So with recent Mercurial 1.7 releases HTTPS support was tightened, so you are bound to encounter a warning in the form of:
warning: bitbucket.org certificate not verified (check web.cacerts config setting).
Now, on http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/CACertificates there are details on what to configure for certain operating systems. Given I use FreeBSD, I altered my
$HOME/.hgrc as follows:
cacerts = /etc/ssl/cert.pem
For OpenBSD this should be in the same place since release 3.8. But apparently NetBSD does not have such a file in base.
PyCharm already has a number of features present in various tools to lint/check your source code with, but offers a way to hook up external tools. Under
File > Settings is a section called
IDE Settings. One of the headings here is called
External Tools. Select this heading and then press the
Add... button on the right hand pane to configure a new external tool.
Edit Tool window that now appeared fill in a name, e.g.
PEP8 and a group name
Lint and add a description. Next point the
Program to the location of the
pep8.exe executable, e.g.
Parameters you need to use
Working directory should be filled in by default. Once done, you can close it by pressing the
Now, pyflakes has no .exe or .bat file to accompany it. You will need to add a pyflakes.bat in your
Scripts directory inside Python with the following contents:
rem Use python to execute the python script having the same name as this batch
rem file, but without any extension, located in the same directory as this
rem batch file
python "%~dpn0" %*
Within PyCharm you follow largely the same settings as for pep8, however make sure to point to the batch file of pyflakes under
Program. Close the external tools configuration windows by clicking
OK twice. Under the menu heading
Tools you should see an submenu heading
Lint which, in turn, should contain two menu items: PEP8 and Pyflakes.
Now open a Python file, go to
Tools > Lint > PEP8 and you should get output like the following in your Run (4) window:
D:\pprojects\babel\babel\tests\__init__.py:16:1: E302 expected 2 blank lines, found 1
Process finished with exit code 1
For my own sanity:
In order to change the parent repository URL of a Mercurial clone (as
svn switch does) one simply edits
.hg/hgrc and adjusts the
So I was so impressed by PyCharm that I purchased a license. I haven’t noticed much of any delays or slowdowns that other people have complained about.